Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Hold everything ....


Young plants are beginning to outgrow their 2.5" pots
Beauty Kings and Black Cherries wait patiently
Today was going to be the first day of tomato planting at my place, but Mother Nature was in no mood to cooperate. Now it'll probably will be Thursday before the wind dies down enough to make it even feasible to put a tender young tomato plant into the ground. I'm chomping at the bit, too. The plants are getting a bit leggy because while my greenhouse has an automatic exhaust fan that goes on at 80 degrees, it also is covered in shade cloth because too much heat would build up even with the fan when the weather pushes above 80. So it really needs a swamp cooler, which probably will be one of my projects for this coming winter. For now the shade cloth is sufficient with the caveat that the reduced sunlight does cause the young tomatoes to stretch a bit in search of even stronger sunlight. My dilemma will be solved once the plants get into the ground. Not that there won't be new problems to keep me up at night!

No comments:

Post a Comment