Friday, January 23, 2015

Something tells me

 When Herman's Hermits recorded their hit "Something Tells Me I'm Into Something Good" back in the '60s, I'm sure they weren't referring to a shade house for an organic farm. However, working on just that project this winter has me humming that tune ... mostly in the fog. It's no huge project, only 30x30, but it will provide a little home out of the bright sun for tender plants coming out of the greenhouse. As a matter of fact, some of those little plants have already poked their heads out of the potting soil (see bottom pic). And with a tiny little greenhouse, they soon will need to make way for the stars of summer: tomatoes! Well, maybe some zucchini, cucumbers, melons, herbs, greens and watermelons. Last year it was a struggle to juggle all these various plants while waiting for that perfect moment to pop them into a nice warm spot in the ground. This year may be different, but only if the project is finished in time for the plants to make use of it. And we also want to sell our organic heirloom starts to gardeners right off the farm and this new structure will provide an appropriate place for them to be set out for perusal by browsers. And while something tells me I'm into something good with this project, something is also telling me this bleak midwinter is going to end all too soon. So I better get back to work!



No comments:

Post a Comment