Saturday, March 11, 2017

LESS TALK ... MORE GRAFTING PICTURES!

This is the tray with the best grafts, still showing lots of green.
We did our grafting on Monday, March 6. I’m encouraged there are still so many surviving plants. Today I checked to see if there was any particular type of “scion” that wasn’t taking. Of the 36 plants we grafted, nine of the scions are either dead or really struggling. Literature on the grafting process notes that some combinations are incompatible. In this case, however, incompatibility does not seem to be a factor. The failing grafts were of a clear cross-section of the scion material. Obviously, this grafting procedure is major surgery for the plants and they are extremely stressed right now. This morning I gave them a very mild feeding of a balanced fertilizer, 1 cup to 5 gallon ratio. I also regrouped the plants so I have one tray with all exemplary plants and another with half failing and half surviving plants. Side note: I am beginning to see the attraction of majoring in the sciences as this scientific pursuit is very satisfying. I do have to admit that it will be waaaay more satisfying if I get a bumper crop of tomatoes out of it!! 

Here we have possibly the most healthy looking graft. Seeing some new growth will tell me it's on its way.

This is more typical, still showing green but obviously a little bent out of shape about something!

Now this fella is interesting. If you examine the top of the clip it looks like the green part is a side shoot and the main part of the scion is trimmed off. It's interesting because we get to wait and see if it starts a new life out of the side shoot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment